In case you’re still on the edge of old, however, the differences between the Eames chair original Vs replica are quite different. Although both designs can add a touch of style to your home decor, there are some major differences between them.
The primary difference between Eames chair replicas and their originals is in price. Eames originals are exactly what they claim to be, while replicas are not. However, they are both a reflection of luxury, comfort, and modernism. Yet, it’s impossible to tell whether a pair of Eames chairs are original or not. LUCKILY, I’ve sat on both the real Eames chair and several replicas.
In this article, we’ll look at the two. Uses the information to choose one for your own home.
Eames Chair Original Vs Replica: A Quick Overview
The authentic Eames chair is still manufactured to the original specifications created by Charles and Ray Eames. The only difference is that the signature of the manufacturer on the back might not mention Herman Miller anymore.
The replica, however, has been designed for comfort with a padded seat that also rotates. Though this revolving isn’t done electronically like an office chair for dining room chairs would be. When it comes down to which will last longer and needs less maintenance, many people do say that buying a replica might help save money. Both chairs are also designed with comfort in mind but because the replica is a little less rigid, it has been said to be better for those who have back issues or other injuries.
In addition to this, the design of an original Eames chair will last longer than that of a replica because there are more materials used in its construction and replicas might not stand up as well over time. However, if you like to change your decor frequently, a replica can make it easier and cheaper for you to do so.
What Is The Eames Lounge Chair?
The Charles Eames Lounge Chair LMX is an iconic chair that was designed by the husband and wife team of Charles and Ray Eames. It was produced by their business, Herman Miller, for many years starting in 1956. The chair is on display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, USA.
It is part of the museum’s permanent design collection. Called “the most successful aluminum group since zeppelins,” it has gone on to become one of the world’s most ubiquitous items of furniture. There are more than 360’000 around us today, some still being made due to their popularity internationally until today with its zero-emissions footprint always making
- Comfort-Super-comfortable upholstery by Woolman, Herman Miller’s Classic Aire
- Versatile-Sits smoothly under a desk for an office workstation; plus can be moved around easily.
- Durability-Made with sturdy yet stylish ash frames and durable polyurethane foam upholstery.
- It connects past, present, and future design. This is one of the earliest examples of modernism in furniture design. Therefore it shows how far back this movement stretches.
- It’s made from molded plywood which makes the wood grain flow uninterrupted through an armless chair frame with a padded seat and backrest attached to complete it all.
- The frame is supported by legs at two points unlike most other lounge chairs which have four points for stability
- It’s expensive.
- Sometimes one can get back pain or neck pain after spending even just a little bit of time in this chair because it doesn’t offer enough support for lumbar health.
- There are no armrests to be found which might cause problems for pregnant women, particularly during the third trimester when they’re carrying extra weight.
- These chairs are susceptible to stains, grime, and other forms of damage because they are made with wood.
- They are quite large and don’t fit into small spaces so moving them might be impossible
What Is an Eames Replica Chair?
The Eames Replica is an upholstered chair made to resemble the classic lounge chair designed by Charles and Ray Eames. The original version of the Eames Lounge Chair was developed for Herman Miller, Inc., which still sells it today.
This replica is not sold through Herman Miller Inc., but rather third-party suppliers who also sell other chairs that mimic more modern designs, such as Google’s “Android” series of chairs. While using the same name as the original version, this is actually a knockoff intended to represent an older design with lower-cost materials. This doesn’t stop buyers from accepting them as legitimate replicas due to their affordable price and ease of assembly (the box holds all materials needed).
- You are making a style statement that carries on into the future at an affordable price.
- Scratch resistance of molded polyurethane is far greater than any upholstery material, so your chairs will look great for years to come.
- Such good-quality replicas are perfect for people with allergies or asthma because these chairs have no filling or padding to trap allergens and dust mites, so they are safe on all counts!
- There’s never been a better time to purchase an Eames replica chair as innovative designs continue to limit supply on the original versions made available by Herman Miller- grab yours before they’re gone forever!
- These chairs are not just a great style statement, they’re also comfortable and durable enough to use for years on end!
- This chair has a bad frame and low quality.
- These chairs are hard to store and easy to damage.
- There is not enough choice in colors, sizes, and salespersons offered these chairs.
- As well as this they can be out of stock at times with limited availability due to high demand.
- The padding is very thin and the chair gets uncomfortable after a short period of time.
- It’s not durable because it can be broken or scratched easily. It will need to be replaced every few years as well due to this reason which means you could end up spending more money than you would if buy an original Eames lounge chair instead
Eames Original vs Replica: Quality, Design, Materials, and Etching Marks
Since the Eames chair has been copied by many manufacturers, there are several factors that you can consider when purchasing an authentic piece.
Price: The original price range for an Eames lounge chair was between $5,000 and $6,500 depending on the materials. These chairs hold their value well as most do with any authentic pieces of furniture made by designer Charles Eames; however, copies usually sell from around 1-2 hundred dollars less than what they appear to be. If you find it too good a deal try looking further into whether this piece would confirm being just that – A COPY!
Removable: The cushions of the original Eames chair and of some replicas are removable. This allows you to have it reupholstered when needed, but also makes cleaning easier since both sides can be removed for thorough scrubbing in between old foam pieces or fabric upholstery that so often collects dirt overnight without knowing it’s there!
The wood frame on these classic designs features veneers: thin sheets with an edge cut at various angles applied over other material ( Usually laminate). While they’re typically seen as a negative trait because many people feel their beauty has been compromised by this method – think about how much time would have gone into making each finish look good if we’d only had real wood.
Wood quality: The wood in the replica is constructed from three different tropical kinds of wood, mahogany composite, and a thermosetting white resin with a bit of pigment. The original Eames Lounge Chair was constructed from two pieces of what the manufacturer calls “a kingwood type wood” per chair. These make up the back and front legs of each piece. The leg skirts were vinyl clad fir plywood laminated to a thin cross-ply mahogany core veneer to an unknown thickness.”
At times you can also see smearing that appears to be either sealant or paint on areas such as the curves or angles that meet at corners. In these instances, it becomes more difficult to differentiate between true aging versus artificial aging.
Dimension: The Eames chair was one of the most iconic designs in recent history, and it’s no surprise then that many people want a replica. However, there is an issue with dimensions: Replicas are often too big for their frames which throws off both aesthetic appeal as well as how comfortable someone can sit down on them (especially if they have a bad back). The original comes in two sizes; classic or tall- but these don’t really solve anything since neither size quite captures what makes up this magnificent piece!
Durability: Durability! Eames was the pioneer of plywood furniture, crafting pieces that last for decades. Plywood is an engineered wood product tougher than oak or teak with attractive lacquer surfaces that wear well. You can expect replicas to significantly decay or chip more quickly than originals due to the lower quality material made from MDF. If you want your furniture to remain to look great year after year, an original will give you the best value for money.
Manufacturers: The original chair is the only one that’s made in America. All replicas are manufactured overseas, usually in China or other countries like Korea where laborers can be paid less than they deserve and forced to work long hours with little respect from their employers just so you get your cheap product faster!
The quality varies depending on which factory makes them but some go as far as providing a top-notch replica for those who want something close enough (without spending too much) while others refuse any attempt at perfection whatsoever because “you must understand our price range.”
What’s to Choose Between Eames Original Vs Replica
There are complexities that different people appreciate. Personally, I find the replica to be a bit better looking in a commercial space. Simply because they’re less easily recognized as replicas and without a lot of textural information, you can’t tell.
On the other hand, for someone who appreciates design and appreciates quality craftsmanship, they could see value in the original Eames chair because it has so much more detail than what you get on something like an Alvar Aalto dresser which is kinda at the same price point.
Also worth remembering if we’re talking about catering to aesthetic demands, The replica will probably last a lot longer than the original and is overall cheaper than buying an Eames chair. If you’re looking for long time investment, get the replica. If you want to use it for decoration purposes only and don’t care about its durability, get the original which looks better aesthetically
In conclusion, there are pros and cons when choosing between an original Eames Chair or a replica. You have to figure out what is most important in terms of quality and design. When it comes to buying an original vs replica Eames chair, there are many questions to answer. What is the quality of the materials? How long will it last? Is it worth the money if you want a brand-name product? All these questions matter when deciding what type of Eames chair to buy.
I am a professional product research expert who researches Replica topics to help people live happier lives. I have been sharing people’s unknown information about products for more than 10 years.
I am also the author of reviews on Replicapicks.com and other review sites that can be found by typing in my name as the search term. My articles provide comprehensive detail on replicas so that consumers are better informed when they make their purchase decisions.
As a writer with over ten years of experience researching these topics, I know what it takes to find all the details you need to make an educated decision about buying things.